Seite auf deutsch ansehen
The Institute for Islamic Theology under the auspices of Prof. Dr. Bülent Uçar and the German Middle East Studies Association for Contemporary Research and Documentation (DAVO) invite to the
27th International DAVO Congress
from 16 to 18 September 2021 at the University of Osnabrück, Neuer Graben 29 (Castle), D-49074 Osnabrück
Call for Papers
The organizers of the Congress call upon scholars of all relevant disciplines in social sciences and humanities who are engaged in research on the contemporary Middle East and its relations to other regions to hand in proposals for contributions.
Our understanding of the Middle East comprises all countries of the Middle East, North Africa and the entire Islamic World
Pre-organized Panels and Individual Papers
Proposals for pre-organized panels on a common theme with at least three papers to be presented are welcome. The coordinators of such pre-organized panels are also responsible for the quality of the papers and may reject papers with summaries of low quality.
If you are interested in organizing an open panel for this congress and look for paper presenters, you are kindly requested to send the title and summary (up to 300 words) to the general secretary of the congress, Amke Dietert (email@example.com) before 15 March 2021.
The call for papers for open panels will then be forwarded via EURAMES and DAVO-Info-Service to more than 6000 scholars who should send their paper proposals directly to the organizer of the specific panel until 15 May 2021.
Individual papers will be ordered thematically and summed up into panels. The schedule for every paper is 20 minutes for presentation and 10 minutes for discussion. Accepted languages of presentation are German and English. Due to the international character of the congress we prefer English contributions. Please hand in proposals for two papers per participant at maximum. You may also propose a closed panel from a group of scholars.
- For every proposed paper please send in a summary of max. 300 words
- For closed panels please send a summary of the panel and abstracts of all contributions (both 300 words maximum)
- The deadline for the registration of papers and closed panels is 15 June 2021.
- The proposed papers will be accepted or rejected on the basis of the quality of the summary.
- The decision about the acceptance or rejection of the proposals will be announced until 15 July 2021.
Requirements for the Summaries of Proposed Panels and Papers
Every summary of the proposed papers and panels will be reviewed by two scholars who accept or refuse the proposed contribution according to the following question-based criteria:
- Is the paper based on a clearly stated research question?
- What is the methodological approach of this paper?
- Does it develop an argument, does it attempt to verify a hypothesis, or does it answer the research question on the basis of the author`s empirical findings or the results of a study based on other sources?
- Does this paper take into account the latest state of research?
- Does this paper contain innovative aspects?
In the case of proposals for pre-organized panels the reviewers will examine:
- Do all contributions meet scientific standards?
- Is the panel well matched and does it offer a concerted input?
The review of the proposed panels will take into account the academic quality and the coherence of the papers. Please keep the academic standards in mind when you formulate the summary of your paper or pre-organized panel.
Workshop for Current Research Projects by Advanced Students and PhD Candidates
Advanced students and PhD candidates who are members of DAVO have the chance to present their current research projects for a MA-Thesis or a dissertation in special workshops. The discussions are intended to provide additional ideas and concepts for the improvement of the current research work of young members of the German Middle East Studies Association. For further information see the respective item in the menue at the left.